The circuit is located at Redbridge Cycle Centre: Map location details are here: http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=547291&y=191903&z=1&sv=547291,191903&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf
The road circuit which has been designed and built specifically for bike racing, training and casual use away from the problems of traffic on public roads.
The circuit which you will be using is approximately 1 mile in distance.
How is the afternoon structured?
12:30 Riders arrive.
12:35 - 12:45 Introductions and explanation of the morning’s goals.
12:45 - 13:05 Jez Cox : The critical components of bike set up/fitting for road racing.
(Jez has 12 years experience as a professional bike fitter to national, world, European and Olympic medallists)
13:15 – 14:30 Group riding master class on how to make the most of the peloton and make it work for you. This will include:
- Learning to get comfortable in a tight bunch
- Confident riding in and around the peloton
- Feeding on the go
- When to ‘work’ and when not to ‘work’
- How to ride in the wind and make others work harder than you
- Finding the bunch ‘sweetspot’
14.30 - 14.40 - drinks break (please bring drinks and snacks).
14:40 - 16:00 - The art of super-fast cornering
16.00 - 16.05 - drinks break
16:05 - 17:40 - Road race tactics master class.
As a complete group, riders will get to try a wide range of tactics and approaches to road racing including
- Perfectly timed attacks
- Counter attacking
- Break away riding
- Chasing riders down
- Working as a team
- Communication, bluffing, blocking ‘hanging in’ and so much more (fun!).
17.50 - 18:30 – A question and answers session with Leda and Jez covering all aspects of racing. This is also a chance to learn more about how to get started in road racing and what regulations and guidelines need to be met.
18.30 - Close
Can we please ask that as well as helmet, bike and shoes you bring on the day:
(I know many of these sound obvious but I just want to make sure we're all prepped perfectly for the day so please excuse me being a bit obvious to some of you!)
1) Drop handlebar road bikes only. Please remove any tri-bars as these are not allowed in a road racing environment.
2) Please do a bring a drinks bottle (with drink in it!) and ensure ideally that your bike has a bottle cage as we will get you drinking on the go.
3) Snacks to keep you going on the go. Back pocket sized ones are ideal.
4) A range of layers of clothing to suit the weather.
5 )A spare inner tube in case of punctures.
Don't worry about anything else. We will look after you well. We have a room to use at the centre and there are toilets and lockers but we will be out on the circuit for most of the morning. There will be space for you to leave belongings out on the circuit too and we will bring extra water.
Any problems on the day, please just ring Leda on 07733226979
We hope you're all looking forward to it.
It will be a nicely mixed group and everyone will be catered for as well as individually focussed on within the sessions. There will be lots of racing but it will always be short and tactical and it will be our jobs to stage it so that everyone is tested and - vitally - everyone improves.
It'll be fun. We look forward to meeting you on the day.